[Histonet] cytology core biopsy billing question

Tapper, Sheila J. STapper <@t> smdc.org
Tue Sep 29 10:53:12 CDT 2009

I am wondering how cytology core biopsies are billed in your facility.
We accession our core biopsies as surgical specimens, and are having a
lively discussion amongst our pathologist about how to bill for the
adequacy for these specimens.

Can we bill an 88329, Intraoperative Consultation for the adequacy the
pathologist is performing?  We do charge an 88333 for the touch preps -
but the docs are split on whether it is appropriate to also bill the
88329 as well.

Thanks for any information you may offer!

Sheila Tapper
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
SMDC Laboratory
218-786-5472

This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. As required by federal and state laws, you need to hold this information as privileged and confidential. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments.