[Histonet] Does EDTA destroy DNA during decalcifying process?

Martina Sladkova martina_sladkova <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Sep 25 10:36:20 CDT 2009

Hello !

Does anyone know whether EDTA destroys DNA during decalcifying process and whether  it would be better to fix the sample before adding EDTA?
My samples are natural coral cubes of 3mm. It is carbonate calcium. The coral cubes are seeded with mesenchymal stem cells. I need to extract DNA in order to evaluate cell  proliferation.

Thank you very much in advance,

Martina SLADKOVA
PhD student

LABORATOIRE DE BIOINGENIERIE ET BIOMECANIQUE OSTEO-ARTICULAIRES (B2OA) CNRS UMR 7052
Faculté de médecine Lariboisière Saint-Louis
Université Paris 7
10 avenue de Verdun
75010 PARIS
Tél.: 0033 01 57 27 86 84