[Histonet] RE: OT: Early Friday Hour of Fuming

Roberta Horner rjr6 <@t> psu.edu
Mon Sep 21 14:36:16 CDT 2009

That's alright whenever I take vacation I come back to all the work sitting here waiting for me.  I just took 2 weeks off and it took 3 weeks to catch up so I feel your pain.
Roberta Horner
Penn State University
Animal Diagnostic Lab

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Breeden, Sara
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 2:23 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] OT: Early Friday Hour of Fuming

I have just found out this morning that I will be unable to attend NSH
this year.  This alone is unfortunate news for me but, interestingly
enough, is not due to budget issues.  The reason I am "fuming" this
morning is not because there is no funding for my attendance (that was
already in place), but because there is such a serious shortage of
histotechs in this country that there is no one to cover me!  A
"traveler" is out of the question (that's a budget issue!); anyone that
might be hiding and is not known to me to be available in our city would
have to have about a month's lead time to get vetted for the position
through the State.  Anyone that thinks that histology is not important
should try to fill a position when there is such a shortage of trained
and qualified technicians.   If we, as histologists, do not begin to
make ourselves more visible and promote our profession as a worthy,
fulfilling and job-secure life, more and more of us will find ourselves
in this position. Thank you - I feel better for having Fumed.  There is
no need to reply as I know many of us are in the same boat.  I was in
the boat and lost my paddle!

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

NM Dept. of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services