Fw: Re: [Histonet] antibody validation Thanks, but need Non-"U" also

Akemi Allison-Tacha akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Sep 15 11:16:42 CDT 2009

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.  You are a rare
jewel.  Especially for the size of your facility.  I am impressed!  I wish I would have received more feed-back from small labs, but that's OK.  I have been doing some pro-active sleuthing of local labs.

After numerous conversations with my fellow histologists that do IHC, I am
finding out what I have long suspected and have experienced while doing
technical support and consulting.  The routine histology laboratory is
multitasking all of their regular histology duties with the addition of IHC
testing.  Pathologists do not want to lose the IHC revenue to a reference
laboratory, so they bring on-board simple IHC panels, and send out their
esoteric or prognostic markers to a well known reference laboratory.  Most
histologists have been asked to bring on board IHC, without the proper
educational background or tools.    The average histologist has
not had the opportunity to take continuing education classes, or even go on the
histonet.  This may be due to lack of continuing education funds, or lack
of interest; It is amazing that pathologists can go to their continuing
education meetings, but don't support their histologists.  Unfortunately,
these histologists do not understand the importance of standardization or
validation steps.  When something goes bump in the night, they are unaware
how to troubleshoot the problem.  This is unfortunate for the histologist,
the pathologist and most of all, the patient.  One more reason for
pathologists to support continuing education.  Hope to see you all at NSH!

Akemi Allison-Tacha BS, HT(ASCP)HTL
Histology Manager
APMG Laboratories
105A Cooper Court, Los Gatos, CA 95032