[Histonet] mice legs

Derek Papalegis derek.papalegis <@t> tufts.edu
Tue Sep 15 08:51:10 CDT 2009

Hi Sharon,
I frequently get whole mouse legs submitted to me and decalcification
doesn't break down the tissue. I use Cal-Rite as a decalcifier but any
formic acid decal would be sufficient. Since formic acid is pretty
forgiving, I decal the legs for 48-72 hours on a rotator. I change the
solution after 24-48 hours and then place them back in decal for 24
hours. I have left bones in decal over the weekend and they have been
fine. I have found that if you are focusing on the long bones, this is
sufficient but if you are interested in seeing the ankles and feet, you
should remove them from the leg and decal them longer. When processing,
I use a longer program. Here is the program that I use:

70%    1 hr
80%    1 hr
95%    2 hr
95%    2.5 hr
100%  2.5hr
100%  3hr
100%  3hr
xylene 1hr20min
xylene 1hr20min
xylene 1hr20min
paraffin 1hr
paraffin 1hr
paraffin 1.5 hr
paraffin 1.5 hr

When processing, only process the bone samples with this program. If you
batch other tissues in with the bones, the tissue will be over
processed. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Derek

Derek Papalegis HT (ASCP)
Senior Histology Technologist
Division of Laboratory Animal Medicine