[Histonet] Overstained Sirius Red...

Michelle MacVeigh-Aloni macveigh <@t> usc.edu
Fri Sep 11 15:55:25 CDT 2009

Hi everybody,

I have been doing Sirius Red for a while with good luck. Today we made fresh solutions and after the stain was done, the sections (rat liver) are too red. They are positive, the fibrosis is bright pink, but the background is pink as well. I got a slide back to water and distained for 2 more minutes with no luck.
The only difference is the source of the saturated picric acid. On the old bottle the manufacturer is listed as Rowley Biochemical Institute (worked great) and the new one is Ricca Chemical CO. Could this be the problem? What can I do to correct this in the future? I have now 500ml of stain which is not optimal.

Michelle Aloni

USC School of Medicine
GI Liver Department
LA, CA