[Histonet] Re: mercury vs led lights **Commercial Response**

Mark Rand mark.rand <@t> amgmicro.com
Fri Sep 11 12:49:52 CDT 2009

Full disclosure: My company manufactures an LED fluorescence microscope :-)

Merced's information from the Zeiss rep is partially correct and needs some clarification. There is a "gap" in the spectrum of available LED's from 530 to 590 nm that would be powerful enough for fluorescence excitation. However, there aren't many fluorophores in that range that can't be covered by either 530 or 590 nm excitation. In fact, the examples cited (Alexa Fluor 555, Cy3, and TRITC) work very nicely with the 530 nm LED used in our microscope's "RFP" light cube. And to provide a balanced reply, I should note that Zeiss offers a 530 nm LED fluorescence module, as do other companies (e.g., Leica, CoolLED, Fraen).

There are some notable exceptions to 530 or 590 nm coverage -- for example, DsRed2 would greatly benefit from excitation in the 550-560 nm range. Manufacturers of LED-based fluorescence instrumentation keep a sharp eye out for new LED's that can fill in these gaps. In the meantime, having 7 dedicated LED modules does cover a very wide range of fluorescence applications, as noted by Eric in his message below.

Cheers,

-- Mark Rand

Mark Rand, Ph.D.
Product Manager and Senior Applications Scientist
Advanced Microscopy Group
Office: (425) 368-0413
http://www.amgmicro.com