[Histonet] Re: Dragon speech recognition

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 12:31:41 CDT 2009

In my travels as a locum tenens pathologist, I have not seen Dragon or
any other speech recognition system in use by pathologists, and can
only recall one client who was even considering it. Computerized
speech recognition could be disastrous for a small pathology practice,
if management were to use its introduction as an excuse to fire the
transcriptionist, who also answers the telephone and is the de facto
practice administrator as well.

Speech recognition systems depend on good microphones and on a quiet
work area with minimal extraneous noise. Grossing stations are
inherently noisy, and the working conditions (vibration, formaldehyde)
quickly degrade microphones. Many pathologists' hospital offices are
also very noisy.

I'd like to get my hands on a speech recognition system, and I think I
could learn it. My problem with it would be that I can type pathology
reports about as fast as I can dictate them.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN