SPAM-LOW: [Histonet] RE: Staining with two primary antibodies from same host

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Tue Sep 8 07:27:03 CDT 2009

I would add an FC block before the first primary, I use one from Innovex for
20-30 min before the serum blocks, it is expensive but worth it for a mouse
on mouse detection system.

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech
12635 Montview Blvd. Ste.215
Aurora, CO 80045
720-859-4060
fax 720-859-4110
www.ihctech.net
www.ihcrg.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of C.M. van der
Loos
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 1:36 AM
To: anonwums1 <@t> gmail.com
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: SPAM-LOW: [Histonet] RE: Staining with two primary antibodies from
same host

Adam,Good point to prepare a protocol first, and then start staining! From
theoretical point of view your protocol should work. However, I have tried
this 'Jackson approach' using a Fab blocking step in a mouse-on-mouse
situation (before the MOM kits were available) without success. There are at
least two good solutions for double immunofluorescence using two primaries
from the same species:Brouns et al. JHC 50:575-582, 2002 and Uchihara et al.
JHC 51:1201-1206, 2003 applied a tyramide/fluorochrome detection for the
first primary and a simple two-step for the second. Because the tyramide
amplification is such a sensitive method, the first primary can be diluted
up to a level that the second simple two-step detection cannot pick up
signal from the first primary. Titration of the first primary antibody is
most important in this procedure. You can in vitro label your goat primary
with the Zenon (Invitrogen) kit based on anti-goat Fab fragments directly
labeled with an Alexa fluorochrome. Next, you can built up a multistep
indirect/direct double staining method:goat primary 1donkey
anti-goat/fluorochrome 1normal goat serum (1:10) for blockinggoat primary
2-Zenon in vitro labeled with anti-goat Fab/fluorochrome 2lots of success
with staining!ChrisChris van der Loos, PhD
Dept. of Pathology
Academic Medical Center M2-230
Meibergdreef 9
NL-1105 AZ Amsterdam
The Netherlands  Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 22:37:34 -0500