[Histonet] RE: Staining with two primary antibodies from same host

Andrea Hooper anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Mon Sep 7 14:09:24 CDT 2009

I routinely stain with two primaries from same species. Mostly rat
antibodies on mouse tissue. I have been fortunate enough so far not
to have to do it in GFP containing tissue so I have utilized either
commercially available FITc labeled primaries, or we label them
ourselves. Then I use an anti-FITC Alexa 488 for boosting signal.
Very nice results, some of which we have published.

Here is the general outline of the protocol (email me if you want specifics):

- Protein block
- Unconjugated primary #1 antibody (for example rat anti-X)
- Fluorophore conjugated secondary antibody (for example anti-rat IgG
conjugated to CY3)
- Block with Rat IgG in excess to block any sites on the secondary
which could potentially bind to your second primary antibody.
- FITC conjugated primary #2 (for example rat anti-Y-FITC labeled)
- Alexa 488 conjugated anti-FITC

X protein will be labeled red
Y protein will be labeled green