[Histonet] Storage of liquid nitrogen

Robert Edward Pogue redward <@t> ucb.br
Fri Sep 4 12:36:24 CDT 2009

Could be worse...once upon a time a fire safety officer asked me to sign a declaration that in the event of a fire i could get to an extinguisher easily. I pointed out that this was not the case as I was at the end of a hall with no extinguisher between me and the exit, so he offered the solution that in the event of a fire I could use the liquid nitrogen (which was in a large tank in the next room) to put out the fire. He was serious.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of koellingr <@t> comcast.net
Sent: Fri 04/09/2009 14:29
To: Paula Pierce
Cc: Histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Storage of liquid nitrogen

In a previous lab, we went through that. In order to keep the large nitrogen tank in a small room that had 2 access doors, there had to be an oxygen monitoring inside the access points. Oxygen level had to be at some minimal level otherwise an alarm would sound. Just in case, with doors closed, there was a leak and someone walked into a room whose air was lacking of enough oxygen. Close the door, get groggy, no one around and that is that. Was a pain in rear but considering the expansion of liquid N2 to gaseous state and how much volume it then occupies, I guess it makes sense. There have been such accidents that have occured.

Ray Koelling
PhenoPath Labs
Seattle, WA