[Histonet] Re: Gloves

Merced M Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Wed Sep 2 13:52:46 CDT 2009

I was just doing some research on the original question posted of gloves
suitable for handling xylene.  Nitrile is a synthetic rubber made of
acrylnitrile and butadiene, devoid of allergy-causing proteins like in
latex and natural rubber.

The U.S. Dept. of Energy suggests using nitrile when handling xylenes,
Ansell suggests either their laminate film gloves, PVA, or nitrile on their
very detailed chart offering technical permeabilty data (for instance, it
takes 75 min for xylene to break through their nitrile gloves). Now
according to OSHA, nitrile does not provide adequate protection, but gives
other glove types that are in agreement with what is suggested by some of
the other sites I saw. Some of the sites don't seem to say how THICK these
gloves are that they are rating, which I think would be a factor for
permeability rate. Most of Ansell's gloves were quite THICK (like for
industrial use).

Another factor for permeability would be how long xylene will be in contact
with your glove, if you change gloves frequently or soon after getting
xylene on them it seems you'd be ok. I find nitrile (the flexible thin
healthcare ones) to be pretty cost-effective. At least, I've dipped my
nitrile-gloved fingers in a xylene bath and when I changed my gloves a few
minutes later my skin and the inside of the glove was still dry.