[Histonet] Biopsy fixation

Kalleberg, Kristopher Kristopher.Kalleberg <@t> unilever.com
Tue Nov 24 17:51:00 CST 2009

Hello All,

I have a simple fixation question.  Typically when we process 3 mm skin
biopsies we will fix in 10% NBF for 4 hours and then wash in PBS and
then process over night into paraffin and then embed.  If we are unable
to immediately process the 3mm skin biopsies after 4 hr fixation what is
the maximum time we can leave the biopsies in 70% alcohol before
processing into paraffin?  Is there a better reagent, such as PBS, other
than alcohol to leave the biopsy in for a few days before tissue
processing.  Thank you in advance.

Kris