[Histonet] CAP QUESTION ANP.12425 ASR disclaimer onpathology reports

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Fri Nov 20 17:13:25 CST 2009

I have a question similar to this one.
If I take 2 IVD antibodies say cytokeratin AE1/AE3 and 34BF12 and make these
into one cytokeratin cocktail, is this considered an ASR because I combined
them into another antibody?

Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: "Morken, Tim" <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org>
To: "Foshey, Annette" <AFoshey <@t> chw.org>; <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 12:24 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] CAP QUESTION ANP.12425 ASR disclaimer onpathology
reports

The disclaimer is only for ASR antibodies. They don't have to be labeled
"experimental" because a CLIA certified lab has full capability and
authority to validate any antibody they want to use for any purpose. You do
have to document your validation procedure and results.

You can also use RUO antibodies under CLIA regs as long as you do the full
documented validation. Interestingly there is no suggested disclaimer for
RUO antibodies.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology / IPOX
UCSF Medical Center