AW: [Histonet] Preventing slide labeling mistakes

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Fri Nov 20 11:59:49 CST 2009

We write a "macro-protocol" at the time of grossing with all blocknumbers
and additional identifer.
This paper is matched the first time with all blocks after embedding and
before cutting. Missing blocks or wrong labelled blocks are found.
The second time the paper is matched with all slides after staining and
before delivering. Missing and wrong labelled slides are found. Additional
the slide-number and material is matched with the "case sheet".

The slides are labelled batchwise with 10 per batch immediatly before
cutting.
The identifiers (letters, "lateral", "resection-margin", etc.) are written
on side of the cassette, so numbers can be written big enough. The numbers
have maximum of 5 digits slash year. 12345/09

Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Morken,
Tim
Gesendet: Freitag, 20. November 2009 01:20
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] Preventing slide labeling mistakes

Hi, Can people share their procedures for preventing manual slide labeling
mistakes? No need to include barcoding - we are exploring that but it is a
ways off.

We currently have a manual process:
We prohibit pre-labeling slides in batches (many blocks/slides at one time),
require labeling slides (hand-written) only at the time of cutting a single
block, and matching paper label to the slide after staining. We don't
currently match blocks to slides.

Thanks for any info!

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology / IPOX