[Histonet] In search of a reliable androgen receptor

Marion Walker M.Walker <@t> hrsu.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Nov 18 10:22:23 CST 2009

We are trying to find a reliable AR antibody that works on human,
primate, rat and mouse, bouins fixed, paraffin embedded tissue.

Over the years we have used various antibodies but just recently we have
had major problems with inconsistency and between batch variations.

For many years we used a Santa Cruz antibody cat. No. sc-816 but when we
bought a new vial it no longer worked. We tried several different vials
from the company without success.

We then tried an antibody from MyBiosource MBS3000466, also supplied by
Abcam ab74272 which worked well when we got it at 1:1000 but after a
very short time began to deteriorate and now works only at 1:100 and
still falling.

Most recently we tried an antibody from Genetex via Autogen Bioclear
GTX73078. We initially bought one vial which seemed to work well and
have just purchased five vials which we were assured were from the same
batch and they did have the same batch numbers but on testing

they gave different results. All antibodies were stored according to
manufacturers instructions.

So if anybody knows of a reliable AR antibody we would be very, very,
very pleased to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Marion Walker

Human Reproductive Sciences Unit