[Histonet] Cryostat decontamination...

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Mon Nov 16 13:16:48 CST 2009

Hello all,

We have always used absolute alcohol to decontaminate our cryostat and wondered what others use.  This has been brought up by an article in the September issue of CAP Today that talks about biosafety when doing frozens (specifically talks about TB).  As a related question, how many institutions require the wearing on an N95 respirator when doing frozens?

The article states that diluted alcohol is more effective "because the presence of water causes proteins to denature more quickly."  I just did the decontamination of our cryostat last weekend and used 70% alcohol as the article suggested.  The alcohol evaporated and I was left with beads/drops of water that I had to then dry by hand.  I guess the alternative would be is just to go over it again with aboslute after usiing 70%.

The article goes on to recommend that personnel should wear N95 masks that are fit tested on a yearly basis.

Thanks in advance.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems