[Histonet] Muscle injection site in rats

Merced M Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Fri Nov 13 09:06:20 CST 2009

We've had this problem before! The best we could do was to shave the area
we wanted to inject, then used an ink tattooing device our animal
facilities had which basically dipped a needle into a permanent nontoxic
bright green dye that you then punch the skin with right where you want to
inject. Do it the day before you inject, so the excess dye has time to come
off.  The next day you see the little dye mark in the puncture site and
that's your bulls' eye for where you do your injection.  It will stay for
weeks at least.  Seemed to work for our purposes!

We did it with hamsters and it was a 2 person job: one to hold the animal
while punching/injecting, the other to pull the leg straight by the foot.
Or the one to hold the animal with the other holding the leg and
punching/injecting.

(Sometimes we tried using a Sharpie to circle the site on the shaved skin
so we could locate it easier weeks down the road, but then you have to
re-circle it every day because it wears of quickly with their grooming and
etc.)

Maybe there are other, better methods out there...it would be great to hear
them!!

Regards,
Merced
--On Friday, November 13, 2009 7:40 AM -0500 "Wilson, Carol"
<Carol.Wilson <@t> ricerca.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way to isolate the point of injection for histology on an
> intramuscular injection into a rat thigh? Any suggestions or protocols
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carol
>

> Carol Wilson, HT(ASCP)
>
> Lead Technician/Histology

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.