[Histonet] Tissue falling off slides

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Tue Nov 10 08:35:14 CST 2009

Put some alcohol in the water bath - it will reduce the surface tension.
Maybe that will help. j

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of John
Shelley
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 09:25
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: Betsy Woessner; Kathryn Gizzi
Subject: [Histonet] Tissue falling off slides

Good morning histonetters!!

I received a project from an outside source to process and embed mouse
hearts for this group. From what I could gather the specimens had
varying times in 4% paraformaldehyde from 24-48 hours all the way up to
4 months. Once processed and embedded the specimens where returned to
the group to cut. They are using superfrost plus slides from Fisherbrand
and from what I could see the sections were coming off fine. The only
thing I did notice is that when they put the slide in the water bath the
tissue seemed to be repelled which from experience means that too much
coating on slide and a hydrophobic environment is create. I asked them
to look for slides from a different lot and cut additional sections and
from those sections I asked them to air-dry only and others I asked for
them to place in oven for 30-45 mins. at 56 to 60 degrees or until they
did not see any more water droplets. They said the sections that they
placed in the oven stayed on a little longer in the deparaffinizing
steps but still fell off.  I know that it could be processing also but
the specimens looked great when I embedded them. Any suggestions will be
great, sometimes when your right on top of it you lose sight of other
possibilities.

John

Confidentiality Notice:
This email, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in
error, then delete this message.