[Histonet] Laboratory Licensing

Ingles Claire CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org
Wed Nov 4 13:50:25 CST 2009

Haven't heard of that one yet. Just so the Dr. is licensed to read the slides. Wouldn't it essentially (geographically) be the same as a Dr. reading consult slides from another hospital?
Claire

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Pratt, Caroline
Sent: Wed 11/4/2009 9:46 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Laboratory Licensing

We were recently surveyed by the Joint Commission.  We have our
laboratory at one physical address and our Dermatopathologists at
another physical address (the hospital).  The surveyor indicated that we
need a separate CLIA and state license for the hospital location where
the slides are being read even though no tests are performed there.
These are high complexity Tissue Pathology.  Has anyone heard of this
before or have a similar set up and how are you licensed.  It doesn't
sound accurate to me.  My understanding was that any test being
performed required licensure, I have never heard of laboratory licensure
being required for the reporting of results.  Please provide any
assistance or experience you can!!! Thanks!

Caroline M. Pratt, MBA