[Histonet] Re: Multi Cool Bath replacement for Histobath

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:57:47 CST 2009

Terri Bishop at SP Industries in Stone Ridge NY tells us: >>I wanted
to take this opportunity to introduce the FTS Brand Multi Cool Bath as
a replacement for the Histobath. - Please view the data sheet on our
website at http://www.ftssystems.com/multicoolbath.htm  <<

The Web site doesn't clearly indicate the potential usefulness of this
product in surgical pathology - for preparing specimens for frozen
section. I think a lot of pathologists, Mohs surgeons, and other users
of frozen section technology will be interested in the Multi Cool
Bath. Can you give us any idea what it will cost?

The Web site doesn't tell you what the cooling liquid is. As I've
expressed a number of times (see the HistoNet archives), I thought a
major problem with the Histobath was its use of acetone or
2-methylbutane (isopentane), both serious fire and explosion hazards
in a pathology laboratory. Can the Multi Cool Bath be filled with a
non-flammable coolant such as 3M's Novec Engineered Fluid HFE-7100,a
"segregated hydrofluoroether (HFE)", methyl nonafluoroisobutyl ether,
C4F9-O-CH3? Is this fluid compatible with the Multi Cool Bath?

Note a competing product, Alan Bright's (Bright Instrument Co., in the
UK) Clini-RF Rapid Freezer.

I have no commercial connection with any of these companies.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN