[Histonet] Recycling Formalin for Fresh Tissue

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu May 28 15:00:46 CDT 2009

Recycling a known carcinogen like formalin, no matter the method, is something I would absolutely not do, nor encourage anybody to do.
One of the few advantages of formalin is that it is cheap and readily available.
It is absolutely not worth it to recycle it and get exposed more than needed.
René J.

--- On Thu, 5/28/09, akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com <akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com> wrote:

From: akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com <akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Recycling Formalin for Fresh Tissue
To: "Histonet" <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 12:14 PM

Good Morning Histo Land,

I am asking all you out there to give me your input on recycIing formalin.  I realize this has been discussed in the not too distant past, but this may be a little different situation.  I realize some labs are recycling formalin to put on their tissue processors, but this is a totally different scenario.

I have been a manager at my lab for only a month.  Much to my surprise, I just found out yesterday that our lab is recycling formalin and shipping it out to one of our clients to put their FRESH SPECIMENS into.

I just had a lengthy conversation with Robert Lott the day before yesterday, regarding pre-analytical protocol's effecting the test results of AFB.  By the way, we were in full agreement.  This formalin issue was unknown to me then.  I realize that the pre-analytical, pre-analytical, pre-analytical, process effects the final out come.  I need to present my case to our Director of Pathology why this is compromising patient care.

Any and all responses are gladly welcome.

Thanks,
Akemi

Akemi Allison-Tacha BS, HT (ASCP) HTL
Histology Manager
Associated Pathology Medical Group Laboratories
105A Cooper Ct. Los Gatos, CA 95032
Cell: 425.941.4287
W: E-Mail: aallison-tacha <@t> apmglab.com
P: E-Mail: akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com