[Histonet] microtome vibration:

Ana Resendes resendes.ana <@t> gmail.com
Thu May 28 14:56:06 CDT 2009

In the lab I am currently working the microtome is often used to cut
speciments of hard shell snails and other mterials that most of the times
have calcifications that are difficult to retrieve, so most times tissues
have to go to further decalcification and I believe that this could have
caused an unvisable deviation on the microtome since, we have striations in
all parafin sections, even with new blades and soft tissues, that compromise
a good histology section for evaluation of tissues.
Anyone has any comments to do on a possible deviation a microtome can get.
Any suggestions or test to prove this possibility? If you were suspecting
from such a problem in your microtome, what would you do? contact the
manufecturer?
Anyone had this problem? Or is a deviation of the microtome possible when it
is used often with calcified tissues?

--
Ana Resendes
DVM, MSc, PhD, Veterinary Pathologist