[Histonet] Recycling Formalin for Fresh Tissue

akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Thu May 28 11:14:25 CDT 2009

Good Morning Histo Land,

I am asking all you out there to give me your input on recycIing formalin.  I realize this has been discussed in the not too distant past, but this may be a little different situation.  I realize some labs are recycling formalin to put on their tissue processors, but this is a totally different scenario.

I have been a manager at my lab for only a month.  Much to my surprise, I just found out yesterday that our lab is recycling formalin and shipping it out to one of our clients to put their FRESH SPECIMENS into.

I just had a lengthy conversation with Robert Lott the day before yesterday, regarding pre-analytical protocol's effecting the test results of AFB.  By the way, we were in full agreement.  This formalin issue was unknown to me then.  I realize that the pre-analytical, pre-analytical, pre-analytical, process effects the final out come.  I need to present my case to our Director of Pathology why this is compromising patient care.

Any and all responses are gladly welcome.

Thanks,
Akemi

Akemi Allison-Tacha BS, HT (ASCP) HTL
Histology Manager
Associated Pathology Medical Group Laboratories
105A Cooper Ct. Los Gatos, CA 95032
Cell: 425.941.4287
W: E-Mail: aallison-tacha <@t> apmglab.com
P: E-Mail: akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com