[Histonet] Certification CEUs

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu May 28 06:04:40 CDT 2009

ASCP has a booklet for the Certification Maintenance Program (CMP) that
lists types of CE, how many hours each, and through what agencies.
http://ascp.org/pdf/CMPBooklet.aspx
If that doesn't work, go to
www.ascp.org  -->  Laboratory Professional --> CMP --> #1 Booklet. Look at
pages 6-8.

It does list NSH. But certificates from state society meetings can also be
used. In-services at your lab can also be used, just have to document -
title, presenter, date, amount of time, name of institution, have it signed
by someone in charge. Sign in sheets with this information could be used, if
you don't want to make certificates for each in-service. Teleconferences
count, as do sending in the tests from the articles in magazines/journals
such as MLO, Advance or Journal of Histotechnology.

Just a little plug for NSH Teleconferences - $125 for each session, and you
can have as many people attend and get CEU for each. About 2 months after
the teleconference, you get a CD of the handouts, PowerPoint and speaker,
with a test for the teleconference you signed up for. You can use this up to
2 years later, and people can still earn CEU (for those people on vacation,
had to stay back in the lab to work, you hired 6 months later.)

NSH Teleconferences are 4th Wednesday of the month, 1-2 pm Eastern time, for
1 hour-ish. The next presentations are Troubleshooting IHC, Staining of
Pigments and Minerals, and Role of IHC in Lymphomas.
http://www.nsh.org/TC/2009TCbrochure.pdf
If that doesn't work, go to
www.nsh.org --> Meetings/Events --> NSH Events --> 2009 Teleconference

Disclaimer - I am the NSH Teleconference coordinator. No, I don't get a
kickback from getting more labs to sign up for the NSH Teleconferences. Just
the satisfaction of knowing that histotechs around the US, Canada, and
sometimes other countries, are getting continuing education.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073