[Histonet] PO/Zylene on cytospins for Fites

Carrie Disbrow disbrc <@t> shands.ufl.edu
Tue May 19 16:19:36 CDT 2009

Hi Rene,
Thanks for the info. We are doing a AFB Fites for Nocardia. There is filamentous bacteria in the patient GMS and the docs are differentiating the type. I did not deparaffinize the patient cytospin slides and I did deparaffinize the patient control with Z/PO. The problem I had been anticipating was that the patient and control did not have the same procedure. I was thinking of it as a CAP issue,,,, but then realized we don't have the same preparation for any stains when using cytospins and controls, ie GMS, Mucin, irons, all have controls that need deparaffinization. DUH!
Anyway the stain did not work. It looks like the Methylene blue is too heavy and blocking the carbol fuschin. We use Dako's Artisan stainer, which I love and are having to rework this stain.
Thanks again,
Carrie