[Histonet] oxytocin receptor IHC fixation and storage

Jan Shivers shive003 <@t> umn.edu
Wed May 13 16:48:22 CDT 2009

I'm sending this for a researcher here.  He's got a lot of tissue in storage that's still 'wet' (still in various fixatives and bagged up).  The tissues have been in fixative for over 10 years.  He wants to know if he can still hang onto the tissue for future IHC use, or has it been in fixative too long for the antigen in question to be retrieved successfully.  (I don't need a protocol for oxytocin receptor IHC as of yet; I just need an answer to his storage question - because he's moving his materials from one lab space to another.)

I've never done oxytocin receptor IHC, so I don't know how difficult it is to retrieve it on the best of days.  Is there anyone out there who might know the answer to this question?

Thanks in advance.
Jan Shivers
Senior Scientist
Pathology Teaching Program