[Histonet] Toulidine blue stain

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Wed May 13 16:09:10 CDT 2009

I have always liked a very simple method from an older edition of
Humanson's book.

1. Bring paraffin sections to water.
2. Stain in 0.1% Toluidine Blue in distilled water, 2-5 minutes
3. Rinse thoroughly in distilled water.
4. Dehydrate in 2 changes of acetone, 5 minutes each. Dehydrating in
alcohol will wash all of the stain out.
5. Clear in xylene as usual. Use fresh xylene, not solutions containing
carry-over alcohol from other procedures.

The second advantage of acetone dehydration is that metachromasia of
cartilage, mast cells of some species, etc. is preserved.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.