[Histonet] RE: Question about DAB waste

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Wed May 13 07:57:02 CDT 2009

We keep our DAB waste in a plastic container and give it to our waste disposal company every 6 months.
No one has objected to this procedure.
Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine
Miami Shores, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jennifer Campbell
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:52 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Question about DAB waste

We just purchased a Dako Autostainer and are in the process of figuring
out how to get rid of the haz waste that we will be generating.  The
machine separates the haz from non-haz, thankfully.  I've been
communicating with our waste facility and have been having some
difficulty.  They want to know a lot of specifics like, how much waste
we will be brining to them at a time and how often, what sort of
containers we will be bringing it in etc.  Do you let the haz waste
carboy get to a certain level before emptying it?  Is it ok to pour this
waste into plastic containers of some sort (we were going to use empty
distilled water bottles) to transport them to the facility?
I would appreciate any insight.  Thank you.

Jennifer C.