[Histonet] disposal of body parts

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Fri May 8 02:17:11 CDT 2009

Indeed they do; I believe some of the Asian Faiths require body parts to
be buried with the person from whence they came. Certainly whilst I
worked in London we had to 'return' an amputated leg to its rightful
owner precisely for that reason. I also had to return a uterus, blocks
and slides to a non-Asian lady for a reason I never quite understood. In
the UK we are led to believe that body parts ought to be returned I
suppose unless there is a health risk. In the case of the uterus I had
to point out that it had been fixed and that the fixative including
formalin (the COSHH sheet was issued); in the case of the leg I'm not
quite sure. Once we had been directed to release the leg, which had also
been fixed, I don't know where it went until its rightful owner 'threw
off these mortal coils'. Years ago, of course, there were scandals over
body parts being stored in plastic jars with brains and stuff in
buckets. Some of those I gather were returned but don't actually know
all the details.

You should return them (they're not yours) but explain the health risks
and try and suggest that they are better disposed of by the Lab. Foetal
parts obviously are outside of this and I've always treated them as if
they were people (as best as one can). If you detect foetal material in
RPC then it ought to be removed and disposed of with care; we've sent
these parts to the local crematorium for disposal and scattering on the
land. We have returned foetuses to the parents for burial and we have
buried them ourselves. Out of interest in retained products of
conception in my last few jobs we didn't sample them as long as we were
sure that they were foetal not molar. Help?

Kemlo Rogerson
e-mail kemlorogerson <@t> nhs.net if not at work.
DD   01934 647057 or extension 3311     Mob 07749 754194;
Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. --Jonah
Lehrer
This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on
its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
Thank you for your co-operation