[Histonet] disposal of body parts

Carol Bryant cbrya <@t> lexclin.com
Thu May 7 14:38:22 CDT 2009

Hello Histonetters!

I work in a small multispecialty clinic laboratory where the majority of
our specimens are derm, gi biopsies, etc.  Today we had an amputated
finger sent for gross only from our ambulatory surgery center and the
patient wishes to have it back.  Does CAP have any specific requirements
in regard to disposal of tissue that would apply here?  Don't some
patients wish to have their amputated limbs back for religious reasons?
If so, what is the proper protocol?  Should they sign some type of
release form?

Thanks,

Carol

Carol Bryant, CT (ASCP)

Cytology/Histology Manager

Pathology Services

Lexington Clinic

Phone (859) 258-4082

Fax (859) 258-4081

cbrya <@t> lexclin.com

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY

This electronic message, including attachments, is for the sole
use of the named recipient and may contain confidential or
privileged information protected by the State of Kentucky and/or
Federal regulations. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure,
copying or distribution is strictly prohibited.

If you are not the intended recipient and have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and destroy
all copies of the original message.  Thank you.