[Histonet] pinning specimens for fixation

Bryan Llewellyn llewllew <@t> shaw.ca
Thu May 7 13:47:53 CDT 2009

Try coroplast panels from your local home renovation/hardware store and cut
to the size you want with a utility knife.  Also, make sure that the surgeon
uses plastic pins, not steel, to avoid rust.  Since they will probably
float, turn them over so the tissue is in the fixative.

Bryan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryan Watson" <Bryan.Watson <@t> parkview.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:49 AM
Subject: [Histonet] pinning specimens for fixation

We have a surgeon who likes to send us specimens that are pinned down to a
board of some sort. He uses whatever makeshift board he can find and he
wants us to order something for that purpose. Does anybody use anything like
this something strong enough to hold a specimen pinned down without the pins
being pulled out that is also disposable? If so, can you tell me what
they're called and where to get them, thanks. I'll take any alternate ideas
as well.
Thanks,
Bryan