[Histonet] Staining Controls

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Wed May 6 02:41:21 CDT 2009

You are of course correct; if the muscle layers haven't stained then the "muscle stain" hasn't worked. Unfortunately that is a common sensed approach, something that doesn't seem fashionable nowadays.

I have said this before (concerning glycogen controls) but I'll say it again. If it is deemed that a control other than the internal be used then use pig organs or some other species. I guess if we look at the Chemistry and Haematology analogy then your need to determine precision (specificity) and sensitivity. You need to know that what you are staining is the substance in question and only the substance in question; does that make sense? In Blood Science they have 'internal controls' and external controls and it is the external control (NEQAS) that controls precision; that you are not only picking up the analyte but you are picking up the right amount compared to your peers.

I suspect that's a way forward; use animal controls that are shown by your peer group to not only demonstrate the substance but that its being picked up in the correct quantities (its staining the same) and then use that. You can do that between a number of Labs thus cutting out the Retailer!!

Bet the Retailer don't get agreement like that.

Kemlo Rogerson
e-mail kemlorogerson <@t> nhs.net if not at work.
DD   01934 647057 or extension 3311     Mob 07749 754194;
Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. --Jonah Lehrer
This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Saby
Sent: 06 May 2009 00:39
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Staining Controls

Hello to Histoland-

I have a question concerning staining controls.

I am currently working for a GLP/GMP lab.  Their use of staining controls requires the purchase of said controls from sources such as Histology Controls Systems (TM) where the manufacturer certifies that these controls are effective controls for the stain for which they are listed.

Now, call me old school, but it has always seemed to me that many controls have internal control structures.  For instance, it seems superfluous to have a myelin control for a Luxol Fast Blue/PAS stain.  Or perhaps muscle (cardiac or skeletal) for a Masson's Trichrome.  Arterial wall for a Verheoff's Elastin stain.  Etc.

Where I have worked in the past, we were always looking for excellent examples of tissue samples which exemplified excellent staining for control slides for specifc stains.  My manager does not have a background in histology or pathology, and this concept is new to her.  Since she keeps a sharp eye on the bottom line, and staining control slides are ridiculously expensive, she is open to the suggestion that our lab should use our own control slides.  However, she feels I should seek outside opinions/testimonials about the certification process for said "house" controls, especially as this process relates to a GLP/GMP facility.

This question should be good for a healthy debate.  I look forward to the coming suggestions!

Joe Saby, BA, HT(ASCP)
Supervisor of Histology
NAMSA, Northwood Ohio