[Histonet] Staining Controls

Joseph Saby saby_joseph_a <@t> yahoo.com
Tue May 5 18:39:28 CDT 2009

Hello to Histoland-

I have a question concerning staining controls.

I am currently working for a GLP/GMP lab.  Their use of staining controls requires the purchase of said controls from sources such as Histology Controls Systems (TM) where the manufacturer certifies that these controls are effective controls for the stain for which they are listed.

Now, call me old school, but it has always seemed to me that many controls have internal control structures.  For instance, it seems superfluous to have a myelin control for a Luxol Fast Blue/PAS stain.  Or perhaps muscle (cardiac or skeletal) for a Masson's Trichrome.  Arterial wall for a Verheoff's Elastin stain.  Etc.

Where I have worked in the past, we were always looking for excellent examples of tissue samples which exemplified excellent staining for control slides for specifc stains.  My manager does not have a background in histology or pathology, and this concept is new to her.  Since she keeps a sharp eye on the bottom line, and staining control slides are ridiculously expensive, she is open to the suggestion that our lab should use our own control slides.  However, she feels I should seek outside opinions/testimonials about the certification process for said "house" controls, especially as this process relates to a GLP/GMP facility.

This question should be good for a healthy debate.  I look forward to the coming suggestions!

Joe Saby, BA, HT(ASCP)
Supervisor of Histology
NAMSA, Northwood Ohio