[Histonet] AO Blade holder

David Waugh dwaugh <@t> kent.edu
Tue Mar 31 13:16:44 CDT 2009

I have a question regarding a AO disposable blade holder (Cat# 824).
This link should show a picture of a similar one
www.usedmicroscopes.com/images/AO820Microtome.jpg

The blade is tightened with a lever on the right that rotates a d-
shaped cam. Two screws are used the set the tension that the cam
places on the blade, once set, the cam will tighten and loosen the
blade. The back of the holder is concave, and the front part convex,
so that when tightened, the blade will bow. I have not been able to
find any documentation on how tight the blade should be. It sounds
like most holders have flat surfaces that clamp the blade, which I
would think would have very different tightness requirements. Any
ideas from someone who uses this type of holder on how the two screws
should be set? Thanks, David

Kent State University
Department of Geology
Kent, Ohio 44242