[Histonet] Cyto prep question

Paul Verden PVerden <@t> UROPARTNERS.COM
Mon Mar 30 09:51:10 CDT 2009

Mike -

Lubricant is the bane of our existence when it comes to ThinPrep.  We
process 30 - 70 urine specimens per day, and we have that problem
whenever excess lubricant is used.  We set up a protocol to use a 1:9
glacial acetic acid:Cytolyt solution as a wash when we encounter the
problem.  Sometimes it works; most times it doesn't.  It will be
interesting to find out what other labs have done.  Good luck.

Paul Verden
UroPartners, LLC
Westchester, IL

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Mike
Pence
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 9:27 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Cyto prep question

I know this many not be the forum to ask this question, but I know many
of us have cyto depts. within our labs.

We have been seeing an increase in the number of unsatisfactory urine
specimens from our Urology group lately and it is due to lubricant on
the ThinPrep filter.  We have worked with the Urology group and they are
using the recommended lubricant from the manufactory.  We see the
problem even when the urine is diluted in CytoLyt for several hours. Has
anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Mike