[Histonet] Please help! In dire need of user manuals

Merced Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Mon Mar 30 09:50:13 CDT 2009

I always find it interesting to discover the vast sea of temperaments out
there that is elucidated so clearly in the light of email responses. The
same email can provoke anger, inflict hurt, or elicit laughter from
different people. :-)

With that in mind studies have shown (so I'm told by a friend who works in
IT here at UB - I don't have the source) that 90% of communication is lost
in email. When you don't see facial expression, gesturing, and, most
importantly, tone of voice, you may never appreciate the sender's true
intent. Especially if the person is someone you've never met, and, most
importantly for this listserv, may be coming from another culture or even
subculture. I have been caught up in several arguments over personal email
(not on this listserv) with people I KNEW that were never meant to escalate
as they did, simply because of miscommunication on one or both ends. :-)

I am not saying that Mr. Royer was not in an argumentative (or satirical,
or sarcastic) state, as key words and phrases from his email that others
pointed out indicate he may not have been in the best of moods at that
time. And there are people who, if in an especially sensitive mood and are
in "dire need of help", can certainly take very personally what has been
said by someone they've never met before (both my hands are raised). And
there are people who become highly offended for the sake of the offended
person. And there are those who see it all quite comically (as I actually
did at first until I started re-reading the emails from different
perspectives). :-)

Just my thoughts!

Merced

--On Saturday, March 28, 2009 8:16 AM -0700 Mark Tarango
<marktarango <@t> gmail.com> wrote:

> It was pretty funny alright.  One for the Histonet Posts of Shame.  There
> are a few of us that could be runners-up with Ford.  haha
>
> Mark
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Emily Sours <talulahgosh <@t> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I thought the rant was pretty funny.
>>
>> Just repeat to yourself "it's an email list, I should really just relax."
>>

>> Emily
>> --
>> prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have
>> been a book.
>> -mark danielewski, house of leaves

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
354 Biomedical Research Building
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
Ph: (716) 829-6033
Fx: (716) 829-2725

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.