[Histonet] Re: Cortical bone image analysis fluorescent calcein measurement (Damien Laudier)

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Sat Mar 28 22:33:21 CDT 2009

I will add to Damien's comments and say that another thing to consider
is the labeling schedule. Typically the smaller the animal the greater
interlabel time period. For example, a smaller window in a mouse tibia/
femur might make it difficult to determine the difference between
single and double labels. On the other hand, the remodeling rate can
also affect this where in say a larger animal like a dog or sheep with
a greater interlabel time period could make you miss your double
labels because your first label could be resorbed.

Lastly, you are better served with your mouse and rat sections if you
can grind your sections thinner at say 20-30 microns. This essentially
will sharpen the labels so that a single label can not be mistaken for
a double label due to a halo effect from label over-expression. You
can accomplish this goal either automatically with say an Exakt
grinder or manually with a suction cup and a little patience.
Regardless, they are all very teachable methods.

I will again encourage you attend the BIOQUANT Image Analysis Meeting
April 21-23 in Nashville as all of these topics will be addressed in
detail from a histology, histopatholgy, and image analysis
perspective. If you can attend, I also encourage you to bring a
representative polymerized specimen and/or prepared slides.

Jack