AW: [Histonet] Staining vs. paraffin wax problems

Jaime Plata enrriq88 <@t> yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 09:41:46 CDT 2009

Very good, Gudrun I agree with you.
I have a seen this crack also on the blocks after embedding them on the cooling stage, and you separate the cassette from the mold.  On the tissue and the paraffin, you will see this type of cracking description that you mentioned.  In this case I will describe it as Ice (paraffin)-warming crack. Please correct me if I am wrong. This term that I used is some type of global warming reaction phenomenon in paraffin.

--- On Sat, 3/28/09, Gudrun Lang <gu.lang <@t> gmx.at> wrote:

From: Gudrun Lang <gu.lang <@t> gmx.at>
Subject: AW: [Histonet] Staining vs. paraffin wax problems
To: "'Jason Mcgough'" <jmcgough <@t> clinlab.com>
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 4:56 AM

Does this look like desert-earth cracks? If yes, this could be a matter of.
Water under the edges after sectioning and half-drying. Do you find the?
Artefacts in the lower part of your sections related to the drying-direction.
(upright)?
The section dries and sticks from the outer paraffin-limits to the center.
When the rest of the section sits down and shrinks, it could happen that it.
tears. (Seen as a water-filled blister.)
Be sure, that the water is thrown out before drying, and dry vertically.
The other possibility is a too hot waterbath. The sections expand too much,
But I think this would be seen all over the section.
This can also be seen, if the paraffin infiltration wasn't sufficient.
I hope my English is good enough to explain my thoughts.
Gudrun