[Histonet] Staining vs. paraffin wax problems

Doug Showers Doug.Showers <@t> propath.com
Fri Mar 27 12:25:57 CDT 2009

I would suggest you send your recycled xylene for testing; the manufacturer
of your recycler should be able to recommend several. I suspect water in the
xylene (I have seen it cause this issue on the processor) or inadequate
drying of the slides before deparaffinization. Any water droplets left on the
slide will not be removed by the xylene on the stainer leaving tiny round
areas in the tissue that still have paraffin in them. The hematoxylin and
eosin will not fully stain these areas, but the xylene at the end of the H&E
stain will remove this residual wax.

Doug Showers, MS, HT
Histology Manager
ProPath