[Histonet] Information Systems: Specimen Tracking & MiddleWare

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Mar 26 15:52:27 CDT 2009

I am very passionate about this as well! Yes, you may "use" my line- but if you could, and it fits into the conversation, indicate that it was histotech that said it! I completely agree that the best use of technology, such as bar coding is to incorporate it.- and especially true in light of the histology process which is "peppered" if you will, with intensly manual steps.

Our field will never catch up in advancement until more people accept this notion. So what you are saying really does not come across as a "pitch" to me, because I think it just makes sense.
 Regards-

Joelle Weaver HTL (ASCP)

From: mike <@t> pathview.com
To: joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Information Systems: Specimen Tracking & MiddleWare
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:08:32 -0500

Quote:  You cannot check a process step which introduces human errors of oversight and transcription with another process that introduces the same type of error potential.

I love that line.  May I use it?

The only thing I would add is a subtlety.  The easiest way to use barcoding in any information system is to just ‘add it on’.  A truly efficient system INCORPORATES the technology.  What do I mean?  Here’s an example:

In Scenario 1:  bar coded cassettes are printing at accessioning.  They are then moved to the gross area with the requisitions and specimen.  However, we know that cassettes can be separated from the requisitions and specimen, so some systems have you scan the specimen and each block to confirm that they match.  This is an example of an ‘add on’ functionality.  The additional step to scan the specimen and blocks has been added.  This increases quality at the cost of more work.

In Scenario 2:  bar coded cassettes are printed at the grossing station by scanning the bar code on the specimen label.  Only the blocks for that specimen are printed.  This provides the same increase in quality WITHOUT any extra work.  This is an example of an ‘incorporated’ technology.

The difference between the two philosophies is huge and it’s a hard one to ferret out by simply reading product brochures because in both scenarios ‘barcodes are used’.

…but you have to ask yourself, which system would you use?

And finally, I apologize if this is coming across as a sales pitch, but I’m very, very passionate about work flow analysis.  The best systems out there don’t just collect information, they help you get your work done faster, better, etc.  and you can’t do that without analyzing how work flows to the department, within the department, and out of the department.

Michael Mihalik
PathView Systems | cell: 214.733.7688 | 800.798.3540 | fax: 270.423.0968