[Histonet] Re: Frozen section

Robert Richmond RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Wed Mar 25 12:50:57 CDT 2009

Somewhere in the USA Gary Martin asks:

>>We need to make a change in the way we presently account for our frozen section [specimens] while doing [the frozen sections]. Presently we receive the requisition with the first specimen, then pathology is responsible to account for any subsequent specimens. The problem is that the subsequent specimens are typically labeled poorly, and we are trying very hard to conform to the CAP guidelines. So ... when the specimens are not labeled in detail, it requires follow up calls to gain the proper information.  I would like to know how other facilities are handling multiple frozen sections.<<

Well, somewhere in the frozen section process the pathologist, who
presumably knows what the specimen is, has to record a diagnosis on
paper. That diagnosis should certainly include the anatomic site
(which I suppose is your problem). Thus I might write:

3. skin of nose (re-excision of 3 to 6 o'clock margin): no basal cell
carcinoma seen.

I think you need to ask your pathologists to help you with this problem.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN