[Histonet] Re: IF

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> stowers.org
Tue Mar 24 12:25:57 CDT 2009

Vanessa,

The answer of how long is suitable, the answer is "it depends".

Routinely, many will air dry over night, even over a fan, in order to achieve the best adherence to the glass slide. We have found that we lose immunoreactivity with some antigens if we let it go that long. Our routine has now changed to 2 hour drying time. We tried 1 hour but the researchers had trouble with the tissues (especially neural tissue) trying to lift off during the staining procedure.

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
1000 E. 50th St.