[Histonet] deplastisizing Spurr

Emily Lockman elockman <@t> apsemail.com
Mon Mar 23 12:37:35 CDT 2009

I'm wondering if anyone has any helpful tips for deplastisizing Spurr.
We currently use saturated Sodium Hydroxide in 100% alcohol. We tried a
5% and a 1% solution as well, but still not perfect. The main issue we
are having is the tissue is lifting off of the slide during staining.

For microtomy, the charged slides are laid out on a warming plate,
section is placed on the slide and adjusted with a drop of 80% alcohol,
then pressed with filter paper to remove excess liquid.  The slides are
dried in a press for 48 hours after microtomy.

Thanks,

Emily