[Histonet] Water...I need more input

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Sun Mar 22 16:56:55 CDT 2009

This might help:

Water Types

Tap water will vary depending on location and season of the year. It is usually a very dilute solution of the carbonates and chlorides of calcium, sodium, and copper.

Distilled water is produced by heating water to evaporation and then condensing it on a cold surface. During this process most impurities are either evaporated off ahead of the water (in the case of most organics), or left behind (in the case of minerals). The water is also effectively deionized because the salts are left behind. It is fairly pure water. To get very pure water it needs to be re-distilled several times.

Deionized water is produced by passing water through a salt bed or ionized resin bed that captures the mineral ions (ie, a "water softener"). The water is not necessarily pure, however, especially in regards to organic chemicals. Reverse osmosis is also used now days to deionize water.

To produce pure water, boil 600 ml of deionized water and add 6 mg of potassium permanganate to it and distil the water.  Discard the first 100 ml of distillate.  The next 300 ml will be very pure water.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of kristen arvidson
Sent: Sunday, 22 March 2009 11:17 PM
To: histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Water...I need more input

I still haven't gotten enough input on Distilled vs. DI water.  One person said there is a big difference and a few said there is not much difference at all.  We will primarily be using it for our water baths and making up reagents.  However, we may be getting IHC in the future.  It seems that for cost effectiveness distilled is the way to go, so currently I'm heading down that road.  Help!  Need to make a decision soon.

On another note,  what brands of ETOH is everyone using?  We use Surgipath.  Trying to find the cheapest.  Thanks!!

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been
virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.