[Histonet] cryoprotection possible?

anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Wed Mar 18 08:41:28 CDT 2009

Good advice indeed. However, I don't recommend you rinse in water after sucrose. Sort of defeats the purpose. Instead if you need to remove excess sucrose rinse in either 50/50 sucrose/OCT or just OCT.

Also, glutaraldehyde fixation usually renders tissue difficult to immunostain. You have to consider whether your fixation is appropriate for your antigen/antibody.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Swain, Frances L" <SwainFrancesL <@t> uams.edu>

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 08:12:45
To: Dr. med. Frauke Neff<nefff <@t> staff.uni-marburg.de>; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu<histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] cryoprotection possible?

Usually the cryoprotection is carried out after the specimens are fixed and before they are frozen.  If you have a sample you can spare you might try making up some 20% Sucrose placing the frozen sample in it. putting it in the refrigerator and letting it stay in the 20% sucrose until it drops to the bottom of the container.  You might have to change the 20% Sucrose a couple of times as you know sucrose can grow bacteria easily.  When the specimen has dropped to the bottom of the container, remove it, rinse in a couple of changes of distilled water and quick freeze the sample.  Try cutting and staining the sample and see if the morphology is good if it is then you can do all of your samples to correct the problem.  There should be no thawing between removal of the sample from the storage to the cryostat.
Hope this helps
Frances Swain