[Histonet] cryoprotection possible?

Dr. med. Frauke Neff nefff <@t> staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Mar 18 03:47:46 CDT 2009

Dear Histonetters,
I'm supposed to do a noradrenaline ihc on rat brains that have been snap frozen
and afterwards glutaraldehyd fixed. While the morphology is okay in the
"test"-tissue we used to establish the protocol, it was very poor in the tissue
of the trial animals.
It appeared mooth eaten and disrupted.

I assume the brains were thawed and refrosted due to moving the samples between
several cities. Does anyone know a method /a tip how I can save some proper
morphology?

I checked the archive and found sucrose as cryoprotectant, but this is supposed
to do it while the tissue is frozen or is it possible to use it while the
tissue thaws?

Thank you all in advance for your patience and help,

Frauke

--
Dr. med. Frauke Neff
AG Neurologische Therapieforschung