[Histonet] re:curling on cryostat brain sections and other issues

Stephen Peters M.D. petepath <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 12:57:20 CDT 2009

At the temperture just after what I call the "crumple stage", when the tissue and medium are stiff enough to form under the blade in a complete section, the section will lie flat with out shattering. If your brush is clean you can cut multiple in a row like ribbons. This is in the - 16 to -18C range. As the temperature gets colder the sections will curl, slightly at first and then more and more and accompanied by increasing shattering. With brain tissue, which is quite watery shattering will occur at relativly higher temperatures than less watery tissues. If you are using very cold blocks you can warm it back to this crumple stage with the thumb and cut a few sections until it recools on its  own to that temperature where it cuts perfectly.
If you would like to learn more about frozen section technique visit the free tutorial on my web site at this link:
http://www.pathologyinnovations.com/frozen_section_technique.htm

Stephen Peters M.D.
201 847 0052
Pathology Innovations, LLC