[Histonet] curling on cryostat brain sections and other issues

Guillermo Palchik gp62 <@t> georgetown.edu
Tue Mar 17 11:18:10 CDT 2009

Hi there,
I am having  problems with my brain sections  (15 um - flash-frozen)
curling up once I remove the antiroll plate on my cryostat... does
anyone know how i can prevent this?
Also - does anybody have a "quick guide" on what to improve while
cutting, based on the damage seen on the brain slice: for example I
heard that if there are vertical lines along the slice, it might mean
a nick in the blade, that cracking of the tissue might be cutting with
the blade too perpendicular, and so on... i am looking for a general
troubleshooting guide for cryostat cutting...
thanks
Gil

--
There are people who fight one day and are good...
There are those who fight one year and are better...

Bertolt Brecht (1898-1956)

How can it be that mathematics, being after all a product
of human thought which is independent of experience, is so
admirably appropriate to the objects of reality?
Is human reason, then, without experience, merely by taking thought,
able to fathom the properties of real things?

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)