[Histonet] grossing

godsgalnow <@t> aol.com godsgalnow <@t> aol.com
Mon Mar 16 14:33:01 CDT 2009

Actually, as long as they meet the standards for High Complexity testing they can gross.......according to CAP you have to have no knowledge of anatomy to process.....

Roxanne

-----Original Message-----
From: Histonet Alias <histonetalias <@t> gmail.com>
To: godsgalnow <@t> aol.com
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 1:40 pm
Subject: Re: [Histonet] grossing

This is another famous gray area that CAP has left us. Are your techs grossing or processing? We split up specimens between processing and grossing. A PA will to the grossing and a technician will do the processing. We have a PA or Path on call for any questions in the evening. If the tech is unsure then the PA or Path comes in or leaves it until the next day.?

ANP.11600
1. Processing is defined as a tissue examination limited to description,
inking and cutting of the specimen (if applicable), and submission of
the entire specimen to histology.  Tissue processing can be performed
according to standardized protocols.  Processing is generally limited to
small specimens (skin, small biopsies, curettings, etc.) and does not
require knowledge of anatomy.
2.  Grossing (or gross examination) is defined as a tissue examination
requiring a greater exercise of judgment and a knowledge of anatomy.
Dissection of the specimen and selection of tissue samples for
submission to histology are generally required.  The specimen
description is not necessarily standardized.